12.29.2009

Oh yeah, about the knitting!

I totally forgot to mention in my last post what I am knitting now! How silly of me.

I was inspired by Jared Flood (big surprise) and his Hemlock Ring blanket. I thought it looked pretty cool, but not particularly intriguing to me at first glance. Then I discovered this blanket's deep, dark secret:

It's not a blanket at all, but a fancy, lacy, purposeless doily...

ON STEROIDS!!!!!!!

Knit with chunkier yarn and bigger needles, this little dainty thing is transformed into a lovely, detailed blanket that captured the viewer's eye! As an added bonus, the knitter doesn't lose his mind in the process of making it! How nice.

I suppose I wasn't the only person to be inspired by Jared's creative transmogrification -- there were something like, oh, 3,141 other people who had made one. Being a very individual indivualist and all, I simply couldn't just follow behind all of those charming people. I found the slightly obscure pattern... oh shoot, what was it? It's Scandinavian... or Danish (not those little pastries)... Oh, Jesuahtofseerwa! It's probably in my last post if ya really want to know!

By the way, do you like how I just made up a curse-ish word up there! Seriously just pressed random keys. I know, my talents are plentiful and legendary.

I'm knitting this thing with Paton's Classic Merino yarn, 100% wool. It's a lovely milk chocolate brown color, which would make a fantastic color for a sweater. Say, a "Boot-cut Sweater" from the "Knitting with Balls" book by Michael Del Vecchio. You know, the one that's knit in the round up to the armpits, then is split in such a way that the new knitter very-well might rip his hair out, curse at it, plead with it, put it in time-out for months, leave it there, forget about it, find it while moving, re-forget about it, re-find it, be guilted by it sitting and mocking him, threaten to rip it out, re-plead with it, and finally scream out to the heavens that "Damn it all, I am the Master of you!" and tear it to bits in a flurry of fuzz, fluff, and frayed ends...only to later re-knit it into a blanket using a doily pattern.

But then, I suppose you get the picture.

Aside from a few minor mishaps early on ("WTF?#*#*$&@? Where are my other stitche...DAMN."), there was nothing that my trusty crochet hooky and even trustier wine bottle-opener couldn't handle.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I loved doing the Hemlock Ring Blanket--it only took about a week-and-a-half. What pattern are *you* doing?

Hey, we still need to get to Crazy Yarn House. January? :)