7.10.2011

BTP: Day 1 (part II)

Ok, so I just got back from our initial musicians' meeting.  It was great getting to meet all the other music faculty and staff, as well as go over what the general plan of attack would be!

I wasn't going to add another entry today, but I simply must.  First off, while we were having our meeting in Panera, a cluster of tables right next to our cluster of tables was doing something that was totally bizarre.  Well, to everyone except me; they were spinning!  All four of them had drop spindles and were just going at it!  It has been a while since I've come upon someone else's knitting/spinning/crochet group, and that was totally cool! I knew the perfect way to broach the subject and introduce myself, too:

"So, y'all are doin' Tour de Fleece?"

Jackpot.  Teh ossim, I haz it.

The second reason why today is epic awesomeness is all about one of the other musicians.  She seemed so familiar, but only vaguely.  As I started to listen, I slowly put the pieces together.  She recognized my phone number as an Alabama area code, which prompted me to ask how she knew.  Turns out, she's from a town that is about 20 minutes from my hometown!  Then it was the way she was so comfortable doing rock, blues, and country music.  Then it was the way was always picking up shows in New York, and it finally dawned on me: I'd met her before.

"Did you play for 'The Wedding Singer' on Broadway?"

My first trip to NYC, that was the show that my friend took me to see!  We got student rush tickets, which were right in front of the orchestra pit.  After the show, I peeked over and said how much I enjoyed the show, and asked her how she got into this kind of thing.

"Well, I'm from north Alabama, so I just played in lots of rock bands and built up my chops that way."

She couldn't remember how she was supposed to have known me -- she asked if I had played in the pit with her, or if she had met me at the stage door after the show, and a series of other scenarios.  Funny, I always remembered what she said about staying involved and just keeping playing; I never thought I'd ever actually meet her!  And now I'm working with her.

Crazy.  Small world crazy.  

No comments: