In case you were wondering, I did.
I went down to the hot tub and soaked in it for a while. Well, really it was called a "spa", which is a good thing because it certainly wasn't a hot tub. Tepid tub would have been more fitting.
Ever so, it was nice to relax for a bit! Since life has been so hectic up until today, I didn't know what to do with all that free time! I took a brief nap, which was delightfully refreshing.
Wow, I really didn't do much today.
For the first rehearsal of our first block, I taught my group of girls "For Good" from Wicked. The room had old wooden floors (painted black, of course) and was really old feeling. The grand piano in the room was ancient, but still had a nice full sound. Most of the girls knew the song already, so teaching it was a breeze! It was so very rewarding to coach them through trouble spots and expose them to new ideas; they were so willing to reach out and everything I threw at them!
We worked a great deal on blend, which is something that most musical theater kids never get to spend time working on. I split them into four groups and gave each group a note of a major chord. Then, individually, I raised or lowered various groups by half-steps so that the chord changed and went through several evolutions. Before long, they were so turned around that they had to listen!
So all in all, it was a really fun time. I had some teaching moments with them, then Dave Clemmons came in and worked with them as an ensemble to further the idea of blending and listening. Incredible stuff! He has a personality and approach that just draws out the best in a performer; very inspiring.
Tomorrow we have a Q & A session with Broadway producer Garry McQuinn, the man responsible for bringing Priscilla, Queen of the Desert to Broadway this past Spring all the way from Sydney, Australia. What an incredible experience!
I know this is redundant, but I am having the best time. I hope I still feel as capable when the workload gets exponentially greater!
No comments:
Post a Comment