7.18.2011

BTP: Day 9

I can't believe it's been a week.  It kind of feels like it flew by, but also like it was ages ago since I got here!  I've already learned so much about so many things, both from being exposed to new ideas and from being surrounded by incredibly experienced and talented individuals.  Much of the star-struck factor is gone, which has been replaced with a greater sense of belonging.  I initially felt very out of place; welcome, but out of place.  Now I'm starting to really form relationships with the instructors, guest artists, and kids.  It's great!

Also, apparently everyone is vying to use me in their numbers.  So cool!  It makes for some really long hours, but I'm glad that I'm making a good impression on everyone.  I still want someone to offer me a job... Ha!  Imagine that!

Today was cool because we started working on Volleygirls.  The entire morning and afternoon sessions were spent on it, in fact.  It's fun music, though!  We're mostly focusing on the choreography and making it authentic to sports-like movement, which is possible since the choreographer is a huge volleyball fanatic.

It's tedious work, feeling out a brand-new musical, but it's gratifying work.  I got a chance to rework some harmonies which will make it into the show!  Bwa ha ha ha!!!1!  I'm gonna be a star!

I missed a ride to get dinner, which was pretty sad.  I did think to bring my emergency crackers though, so they saved the day.  The new piece we started tonight is "Ring Them Bells" from Liza with a Z.  Such a cute little piece!  It's also tedious to piece it together because of all the little bits that go into it, not to mention the fact that every single dancer has jingle bells attached to their wrists and ankles and they jingle-jangle every time they move.  Huh.

All in all though, it's still going really well!  I wish I had some more free time so I could get some writing done; I'm way behind on that.  Maybe soon... or at least after the workshop.

Oh, and apparently the AC unit in my room leaks onto the carpet?  Ick.  I stepped in it the other day and called, and it still hasn't been fixed.  I'll be changing rooms tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.  The only room they had tonight was a smoking room.  Ummm... no thanks.  Even when I smoked I didn't want to stay in a smoking room.  Gross!

Well, off to bed.  What I need is a good night's rest!

1 comment:

Julie Martinez Hayes said...

I don't care if your computer crashed!! If you can type me a quick email on your phone, then you can update your blog during a very COOL time!! At least write on a bar napkin or something, to get the thoughts while they're fresh!

Hugs, J