10.22.2009

Decisions, Decisions...

I'm making a sweater.

Well, I will be making a sweater. Some day.

I have always wanted to make a handknit sweater ever since I realized that I can handle squares and rectangles. Granted, when I first began I didn't even want to think about anything more complex than seed stitch. Turning a heel? I didn't even know they could rotate!

I just recently discovered exactly what a gusset is.

After finally turning on the heat and actually wearing a hat and scarf and not feeling like a total doof, the sweater-bug has indeed bitten me again. And why not? I have all of the technical skill to make a sweater, I have all the resources, I have all of the tools necessary. Still, I hesitate. Hopefully, partnered with the confidence of my spontaneous and pseudo-routine blogging, I can muster up the courage and conviction to actually cast on.

I have decided that my first sweater needs to adhere to certain parameters:

  • Machine Washable -- While I am very capable of handwashing a garment, and while I know exactly how to treat the washing, rinsing, and blocking process, I really don't want to. There is a strong chance that my first sweater will look like a first sweater, and it would only be insult to injury if I had to treat it like the Queen of Sheba. (Not that the Queen of Sheba was submerged in warm water, gently patted dry, and pinned to the carpet... you get my point)
  • Inexpensive Yarn -- I'm not talking about cheap-o acrylic here, but I can't break the bank either. I know, I know... this is going to be an experience, and I need to make sure that the materials are blah blah blah... Right. I would love to shell out $12.95 for 79 yards of a lovely alpaca/silk blend. This sweater is going to be man-sized, which mean lots of yarn. ::sigh:: I will definitely be checking out KnitPicks and WEBS, to say the least. Maybe recycled sweater yarn? Hmmm???
  • Fabulous Design -- I have realized that the only thing that will get me off of my behind and make me feel like a knitter worth his salt is to leap in head first and make something that is a challenge. Not "hard", mind you, but something plain that has just enough interest and variation to mix it up.
All in all, I believe that I've decided to make something by Jared Flood aka BrooklynTweed. His designs are elegant, smart, sophisticated, artistic, and just down-right incredible. Anything that I would hope to design has probably already been designed by him! He's just that good.

I've narrowed my selection down a bit, but I'm still drawing a blank. In no particular order:



Raspy by Kim Hargreaves

Ok, so a few of these aren't exactly designed by Jared Flood, but he does an impeccable job executing his alterations to them. I'm not sure if he made many alterations to this particular design, but I rather like the slightly rolled hem at the bottom. I am also a huge fan of the raglan sleeve look (I do hope that's what this is, otherwise I'll look like a fool... well, to no one. Other than Jennifer, that is! Thanks for reading!). This would be nice in a cotton/wool blend, or even a cotton/acrylic blend. Cotton Ease, perhaps?




Seamless Hybrid by Elizabeth Zimmermann

Another startling and awe-inspiring custom adaptations. I adore Jared's use of color in this! As far as design, I am particularly drawn to the saddle "seam" running across the upper chest of the sweater. If I understood correctly in his blog, the sweater is actually "seamless", and that clear little line (that I love so much) is where the tops of each shoulder are worked toward the neck, but also joined to the front and back of the sweater as it's worked. It's a bit like alchemy, but I believe that I understand the concept.




Classic Raglan Pullover by Barbara G. Walker

Although I have several v-neck sweaters already, most of them are a bit too short. they work nicely for the old "button up shirt under the sweater, collegiate grad" look, but other than that.... not so much. I also like the idea of using two different colors to make stripes -- a whole new world of color interest and contrast opens up! I very rarely see a striped sweater that I like, if for no other reason than it seems to undermine my sense of global aesthetic... not to mention make me wonder if those charming little designers at Aeropostale and Gap ever took Color Theory 101.




Cobblestone Pullover by Jared Flood

Ok, so this was actually designed by Jared Flood. I am not usually drawn to garter stitch. Probably because it reminds me of my days when that was all I could really do. Recently, however, I have noticed a growing affinity towards garter stitch elements in knitwear, particularly to emphasize contrasting texture, rather than purely practical reasons. I know, I know -- garter stitch doesn't roll like stockinette does... but it's nice to see a design that employs this element because of its aesthetic quality, and not because of its practical nature. Plus, it looks really good.




Spiral Yoke (Adult) by Meg Swansen

I....... love........ this....... sweater! It is remarkable -- and to tell you the truth, I wouldn't have given it a second glance if I hadn't seen Jared's rendition of it. The subtle way that the swirls shift directions at the neck line is fantastic! Once again, I love his use of texture to enrich his sweater. The panes surrounding the neck are filled with reverse stockinette, and really help to bring out the cyclical design. Stunning. The original had contrasting colors in the neck, and it just... well, let me show you:



Right. Not that this is a bad sweater by any means, but let's be honest --baby blue and white colorwork give this sweater a flowerlike quality that doesn't really mesh with my vision. I knit, but I'm just not that matronly.


Having said all of that, I am really no closer to crafting my sweater than I was when I started. At least, I don't feel like it. Perhaps some day I will have all of these sweaters in my closet. Until then, I need to cast on for one of them.

Oh, reader(s) -- what do you think? Is there a magical sweater that is destined to be mine? Do you have a favorite yarn that would be perfect for one of these selections? Do you think that I should just give up and go back to work at the ol' scarf factory?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey There,
I'm about to start my first sweater as well. I am familiar with and admire all the potential choices you mention and have finally decided on the Cobblestone. The first runner up was EZ's Seamless Hybrid which is such a classic. The Cobblestone has a great combo of simplicity, a bit of textural variety and coziness. I'm going with some Rowan Scottish Tweed Aran in a rust color which I got at a discount through WEBS a while ago. It's gorgeous and was a great deal, not machine washable though. If you can waive the machine washable rule, check out Beaverslide worsted. Great colors/yardage and she often has sales. Have fun!
Dan (jpsdad on Rav)

Coty said...

Thanks for the great feedback! I think that Cobblestone and the Seamless Hybrid are my top two choices, too. I suppose I can waive the machine washable rule... we'll see!

SupremeAntBee said...

I know this post is nine months old or so, but if you're like me, you still haven't made your first sweater yet. I vote for the Cobblestone sweater. When I first laid eyes on that sweater, I knew immediately that it was the one for my first time. I have had it in my queue forever, just haven't been brave enough, or rich enough, to take the plunge and to purchase the amount of yarn I would need. I now have the money to buy the yarn, so later this Summer, I will start on my first sweater. I have found the perfect yarn, Berroco Ultra Alpaca in a beautiful aubergine colour. If this one turns out right, I will then try my hand at EZ's Seamless Hybrid.
Perhaps we can cast-on at the same time.